- Agreeing that refugees can be resettled via a Community Sponsorship Group in the area
- Confirming that they are comfortable with the Group’s approach to resettling refugees
- Will be invited to confirm that the accommodation provided by the Group for the family adhere to housing standards
- Introducing the Community Sponsorship Group to the Local Authority Safeguarding Team to give them an opportunity to review the Group’s Safeguarding Policy should they wish to do so
- Will be invited to attend the pre-approval meeting with the Group and the Home Office
- Will be invited to participate in monitoring visits/updates with the Group, resettled family and the Home Office
Advice for Local Authorities about Community Sponsorship
This resource is aimed at Local Authorities who receive requests from Community Sponsorship Groups for consent to resettle a refugee family in their neighbourhood.
Reset are able to offer advice and support to Local Authorities who are exploring how to give consent to Community Sponsorship Groups; as it is a programme in its infancy, we recognise that many Local Authorities will be looking at this for the first time and creating a method of providing consent. We can provide advice and guidance on how others have approached providing consent and help you to explore how you can provide consent in your own Local Authority.
What help can Reset offer to Local Authorities?
Advice and help
We can answer any questions about the scheme, the process, and requirements you need to fulfil and can help you navigate how you can provide consent to a Community Sponsorship Group.
Connect with other Local Authorities
We can connect you with other Local Authorities who have resettled families through Community Sponsorship in your area.
We can share best practice and provide template letters for Local Authorities on request so that you can see what others have done
Advice on funding
We can advise you on what funding is available for you when a Community Sponsorship Group resettles refugees.
Reset also provides advice to Community Sponsorship Groups regarding approaching their Local Authority/Authorities, and you can see this on our Training website.
If your Local Authority is exploring how to provide consent for Community Sponsorship, please contact us. We will be happy to help you explore this.